English | Greek  
Homepage | Menu | Location | Specialties and Wines | Photo Gallery | Contact
 

Tabakaria

 

The area of Tabakaria was developed in the mid 19th century and started out as leather processing factories known as "tanners".

The main premises of the buildings were made during the occupation (1830-1840) and the location was chosen under the assumption that it was far enough away from the city of Chania, next to the shallow sea water which was used in the first stage of processing skins.

Tabakaria, flourished during the war. However it ceased to function during the German occupation only to make comeback after the war.
The decline of Tabakaria occurred gradually in the '70s until today whereby only one tenth of the remaining businesses operate.

Today, most tanneries are abandoned and some of them have converted to other types of businesses. The only element that has remained untouched by time is the imposing architecture of a. The buildings have an entrance from the side street of the sea and are two or three stories high.

 

See arrival instructions to "Thalassino Ageri">>

 

Halepa

 

The district Halepa is located east of the city of Chania. It was developed in the mid 19th century and is well known in the history of Crete with the "Convention of Halepa". It is here where the Ottomans and the Cretans had the contents of this constitution ruled up and signed in October 1878 by which the Ottomans granted a large degree of self-government to Greeks in Crete.

It is one of the finest and most exclusive districts of Chania, within walking distance of the town and the sea.

 

 

sources: chania.gr, explorecrete.com

Photo: panoramio.gr, avclub.gr

 
       
 
  Thalasino Ageri © Copyright 2011 - Powered by G-Squared (Netpro/PC&Arts Group)
Recommended by Chania Citizen Guide (iChania)